The impressive Lubiaz Monastery was established by Cistercian monks in 1175 and became an important cultural centre in the following centuries. Despite political turbulences and war damages the monks remained in the abbey continuously until 1810, when the facility was eventually taken over by the Prussian authorities and turned into a hospital. Used as an arms factory during the World War II, the abbey suffered great damages and is still being restored to its previous grandeur.
The abbey was given its present shape during the reconstructions in 17th and 18th centuries, which is why it is considered a masterpiece of Baroque Silesian architecture.
Expanded over centuries, it is the largest Cistercian abbey in the world, with second longest façade in Europe and area of the roofs equal 25,000m2. The interiors include several painstakingly restored rooms, including the huge Baroque Knights’ Hall, crypts and the unpreserved underground passages, which extend far beyond the monastery’s boundaries and are of continued interest for wartime mystery hunters.
Distance from Wroclaw city centre: 52 km, about 55 min driving one way